For our Christmas party tomorrow, I tried out this recipe for peppermint meringue cookies.
The only thing I changed was how I made the actual meringue. Here’s my modified recipe:
Christmas Tree Pepperming Meringue Cookies
1. 4 egg whites
2. 1 cup sugar
3. Cream of tartar
4. 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract
5. Green food coloring
6. Star sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 200 F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Whisk the 4 egg whites and a pinch of cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly, while whisking, add sugar, 1/4 of a cup at a time, until stiff peaks form. Add the peppermint extract and about 2-3 drops of green food coloring.
3. Place the meringue in a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe 1 inch cones at least an inch apart. Bake for two hours until crispy and let cool in oven with the door open.
4. Attach star sprinkles with the icing to the tree. You can add other sprinkles as ornaments or pipe small icing ornaments :)
Also another hint. When I started piping, the first one came out beautifully. The rest…not so well. They started to kind of look like…piles of…well you know. The meringue had started melting because I was taking too much time forming the Christmas trees. So I would suggest move fast, and get those trees in the oven!