Last night I had a break in homework (kind of. Only because I had done it the day before, not because we had actually been assigned less homework…) and so decided to make cookies. A few of my friends needed pick-me-ups, so I thought making them cookies would be the perfect way to put a little happiness in their lives. After contemplating which cookies to make, I finally settled on Chocolate-Hazelnut Drop Cookies, or Nutella Cookies. Nutella is basically magic in a jar, so these cookies were sure to turn out to be delicious.
Yield: 30-36 cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (powdered/confectioner’s sugar)
- Extra icing sugar for powdering (optional)
- 1/2 cup of Nutella (or any other chocolate-hazelnut spread)
Path to Deliciousness:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the softened butter and vanilla extract. Beat in the icing sugar. (You can mix the Nutella in now, before the flour, if you prefer.)
- Little by little, beat in the flour.
- Mix the Nutella into the dough. (The recipe said to use 1/2 cup, but I used more than that because I personally believe that Nutella is one of God’s greatest gifts to us.)
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough and drop them into balls onto a cookie tray. The recipe makes 30-36 cookies, and I put 12 cookies on each tray, so (omg math) you will probably need three cookie trays.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool on the tray for about 5 minutes (or until they can be moved) and then let them cool completely on a wire rack (for about 30 minutes).
- Using a sifter, sift icing sugar over the cookies. OR: Place powdered sugar in a bowl. I would put about 1/4 cup in, but that’s still probably a lot. You just need enough to be able to coat the tops of the cookies in. I just put the sugar in the bowl and put each cookie upside down into the sugar and was done, but if you want, you can roll them in the sugar and cover them all the way around.
- Voila! You have cookies!
These can be a little messy, what with the crumbly nature of the cookie and the icing sugar and all. Just so you know. Enjoy! Let me know if you have any variations on the recipe – I’d love to try it again with a new flavor. Maybe mocha Nutella cookies? Just a thought.
And now darling readers, I must depart. To a world of homework :( Au revoir!